If you love mushrooms (also known as edible fungi) and have always wanted to grow it in your backyard or even in your living room, there are hundreds of edible mushroom growing kit to choose from. But to have homegrown harvests it is important to find kits that work for you and your environment.
The Best 8 Mushroom Growing Kits by Type:
Shiitake mushroom growing kit
Morel Mushroom Growing Kit
Blue Oyster Mushroom Growing Kit
Pink Oyster Mushroom Kit
Portobello – Crimini Mushroom Growing Kit
White Button Mushroom Growing Kit
Lion’s Mane Mushroom Growing Kit
Reishi Mushroom Growing Kit
The best way to enjoy mushrooms is to eat them fresh- and for that growing and harvesting your own is the best route to follow. It’s especially difficult for beginners to get started growing their own mushrooms at home.
I wrote this guide keeping beginners in mind, summarizing the easiest mushroom growing kits, listing important notes, answering commonly asked questions, along with beginner’s tips sprinkled all over. So that you can start growing a variety of mushrooms at your home in no time!
If you need to make a quick decision, pick from these best recommended products from Amazon.
– Delicious mushrooms to eat with meat & steak – Crimini / Portobello Mushroom Growing Kit
– Most yummy mushroom to eat with Seafood – Blue Oyster Mushroom Growing Kit
– Nourish yourself with healthy mushroom tea – Reishi Mushroom Growing Kit
The foremost question in your mind could be – How to decide which will be the best edible mushroom growing kit for you?
Luckily, you don’t have to look far when thinking of growing your own supply of organic mushrooms. With these tips & the right edible mushroom growing kits, you can finally make an excellent miniature “farm” in your home. So keep on reading as I list down 8 of the best edible mushroom growing kits available in the market today to fruit different types of edible mushrooms at home.
Table of Contents
- Choose the Type Of Mushroom You Want To Grow
- 8 Best Edible Mushroom Growing Kit
- 1. Shiitake mushroom growing kit
- 2. Morel Mushroom Growing Kit
- 3. Blue Oyster Mushroom Growing Kit
- 4. Pink Oyster Mushroom Kit
- 5. Portobello / Crimini Mushroom Growing Kit
- 6. White Button Mushroom Growing Kit
- 7. Lion’s Mane Mushroom Growing Kit
- 8. Reishi Mushroom Growing Kit
- Keep Moisture level right especially if Growing Indoors
- Ensure you have good spawns for the chosen Mushroom
- Know the best Time to Grow Mushroom at your Home
- Keep your Mushrooms Damp
Choose the Type Of Mushroom You Want To Grow
The most commonly grown types at home are- Crimini, Shiitake, Portobello, Oyster, Morel, and White button mushrooms. However, the more exotic varieties like Reishi, Pink & brown oyster mushrooms and blue oyster mushrooms have also gained popularity in recent times.
Keep in mind that different types of mushrooms also require equally different medium to propagate. For instance, shiitakes thrive on logs or hardwood sawdust while oyster mushrooms grow on straw and white button ones on composted manure.
Also, all mushrooms cannot be grown indoors. While some mushroom kits are intended for outdoor use, there are many kits that help to grow mushrooms inside the house.
So whatever is your choice, there is an edible mushroom growing kit out there for you.
Let’s take a closer look.
8 Best Edible Mushroom Growing Kit
1. Shiitake mushroom growing kit
Shiitake although usually available year-round, can be hard to find in many grocery stores. It is the second most commonly consumed mushroom and can be identified by it’s wide, umbrella-shaped cap and unique brown tones which can range from a golden-toned amber to paper bag like dark brown shade.
Here are two growing kits that you can use to grow Shiitake Mushrooms, first one needs a bit more work and the later kit is a more “ready to go” easy product.
1.1 Shiitake Grow Kit (bit difficult)
If you want to grow this earthy and rich variety, 2funguys offers spawn starter kit, available on Amazon. The kit comes with all essential supplies to start your own shiitake mushroom in your backyard, except ” the log”. Note: You need to refrigerate the spores provided in the kit on arrival if you are not planting them immediately.
Things to know,
- You will need a hardwood log (3 weeks rested after cutting) to plug the spawns, Drill with 5/16″ drill bit, a Hammer and a Pot to melt wax.
- Spawn plugs can be kept in the fridge for up to 6 months
- The log should be kept in the temperature range of 55-80°F for fruiting
- It takes 6-8 months from inoculation to first harvest, so be patient
1.2 Shiitake Grow Kit (easy method)
Alternatively, you can get hand-cut logs which are around 12 inches in length and pre-drilled, filled with spores, and sealed with cheese wax so they’re ready to go. All you need to do is place this log either on its side or upright, and follow the included instructions for watering.
Things to know,
- Note that the log will not produce fruit for at least 4-6 months
- Soak log in cold water for 24 hrs
- Place it in a cool, dark, shady location
- Lightly mist the log with water every week or so
Shiitake Mushroom Log Growing Kit - Check on Amazon
NOTE: if the 12″ Log is not available, get this 6″ to 9″ Shiitake Mushroom Log (2 logs per order) from Amazon.
If you are a beginner, the log is recommended as you almost have to nothing other than keeping it moist occasionally. If you allow a rest period (about 8 weeks) between each fruiting, you can expect to have multiple harvests with this kit. Buy on Amazon
Common questions people ask about these Shiitake growing kits
- Q. My Shiitake plugs are covered with white mold after keeping in the fridge, are they dead?
- A. No, it’s normal. Its mycelium. Your plugs are doing great.
- Q. Can I use Pinewood “log” for Shiitake plugs?
- A. No, pine is not recommended. Most hardwood logs work best for Shiitake.
- Q. Can I grow them indoors?
- A. Yes, you can. However, mushrooms usually grow bigger when kept outside
- Q. Can I gift this to my mom?
- A. This can be a unique & unusual gift, for anyone who loves gardening.
- Q. Where should I keep the log?
- A. Keep it in a cool & shady place. e.g. Under a bench, lean beside the house etc.
- Q. How long does the log keep producing Shiitake mushrooms?
- A. It depends on the nutrients of the log, usually between 2-4 years.
- Rest the log for 8 weeks after each harvest
- Soak the log for 24 hours in cold water and place in again in a cool dark place
2. Morel Mushroom Growing Kit
Morel mushrooms are not only easily identified by their pine cone shape fairy house-like appearance, but they also make a delicious addition to many recipes.
If picked at a tender age, they can be cooked whole with stem and all. However, for older morels, only the caps should be used, as the stems get a bit woody over time.
This white morel mushroom habitat kit can easily provide you with a personal supply of fresh morels in your backyards to eat each spring.
Things to know,
- This morel mushroom growing kit produces white Morels
- You can store this in the refrigerator for up to 6 months if you plan to use later
- You will need at least 4×4 garden space, a shovel and some compost (vegetable etc.)
- This package contains “living morel fungus” block
- It can be grown in area small as four square feet
- Water once or twice every week depending on how hot the weather is
- It can take up to 6 months – 2 years to start producing Morel mushrooms
- This kit can be used in any soil type
- It can be started any time of the year, except in extremely cold winter
Morel Mushroom Growing Kit - Check on Amazon
This kit is different than others available because, unlike most of the others, it will continue to produce morels year after year like perennials if the right conditions are provided. The kit includes a bag of inoculated mushroom spawn and a complete set of growing instructions.
Common questions people ask about this Morel growing kit
- Q. Can I use this kit to grow Morel mushroom indoor?
- A. No, this is for outdoors only.
- Q. Can I plant the block in a sunny area?
- A. No, you need to place it in a cool & shady place
- Q. Are Morel mushrooms guaranteed to grow?
- A. It’s a bit of a chance to be honest. Fruiting depends on many random factors to guarantee it. You have to follow the instructions and also have patience. Sometimes Morels can take a couple of years to grow. It depends on your weather, placement & soil condition.
- Q. Should I keep the mini mushroom farm wet or dry?
- A. You should water it to keep it “moist”. Not too dry not too wet
- Q. Can I farm the Morel habitat in a windy area?
- A. Not recommended at all. Keep it in a not so windy, shady place.
As an avid gardener, I don’t mind taking the chance on this as I love to grow all kinds of different & unusual stuff. Buy on Amazon
3. Blue Oyster Mushroom Growing Kit
A cluster of blue oyster mushrooms is identified by their shelf-like appearance. They start out with deep blue coloring and become grey as they age. The thick and meaty taste of this mushroom has versatile culinary uses.
If you want to grow this gourmet mushroom at your home, this colonized Blue Oyster Mushroom kit is highly recommended.
Organic Blue Oyster Mushroom Growing Kit - Check on Amazon
It’s another good option for first-time mushroom growers. You will receive a perfectly pure bag of straw-based spawn with instructions about how to cut the package as shown and set it in a clean bowl with a half-inch of water. You can keep it on a coffee table also at a normal household temperature.
Things to know,
- This is an indoor kit
- The main item in this edible mushroom growing kit is a log of wood chips which contains the spores
- The grow kit only requires 9-inch x 9-inch space (a dish or shallow container) to grow blue oysters.
- Will grow in temperature between 65 F to 73 F
- It is a ready kit, just place the spawn bag (small holes are already poked in it) in a shallow dish “sealed side down” (important), add 1 cup chlorine-free water to the dish, spray (mist) around bag with water, cover it with humidity tent cutting its 2 top corners to allow air, place it in indirect sunlight.
- Take out the tent and mist the spawn bag every day lightly
- Blue oyster mushrooms are usually ready to harvest in 10-15 days
It has been reported that this blue mushroom kit yields clusters of blue mushroom pretty fast (10 -15 days )
Common questions people ask about this Blue oyster growing kit
- Q. Can this kit produce mushrooms more than once?
- A. Yes, after the first harvest, keep the kit in a warmer place for 2-3 weeks, then move to a cooler place to shock into fruiting. (can be kept in the fridge for 1 night, include humidity tent). One kit can produce 3-4 times.
- Q. Ewww… why is the spawn bag has white sticky stuff all around it? Should I be worried?
- A. That’s a good thing, the white stuff is mycelium, means it’s going to fruit soon!
- Q. When should I pick the Blue oyster mushrooms?
- A. Generally 2 days after fruiting. Pick when you see there is no notable growth. I recommend picking them early, it tastes better. If you wait too long, they will wither and will not taste as good.
- Q. Can I keep the kit in direct sunlight?
- A. No, keep in indirect light. It however needs light to produce.
- Q. Why is my blue oyster mushrooms not blue?
- A. The color can be off white or grey if it’s grown in less light, it’s usually more bluish grey when grown in adequate light.
- Q. How much mushrooms can I can expect from this kit?
- A. You can expect about 1lb from each harvest.
- Q. Did I read correct where it says “place the spwan bag sealed side down on the dish”?
- A. Yes, water does not need to go in from the dish. It’s added to moisture the tent.
- Q. Are these blue oyster mushrooms Psychedelics?
- A. No. just edible mushrooms.
- Q. Mushrooms are growing from places where there is no cut or hole in the plastic bag to get out. What should I do?
- Just cut a hole where the mushrooms are needling from. Less cut results in bigger mushrooms.
- Q. How does blue oyster mushrooms taste?
- A. Tastes like seafood, kind of like oyster and quite different than general shiitake or button mushrooms. Very yummy when sauteed with garlic and butter! It’s served in dishes in high-end restaurants.
If you like “seafoody” tasting mushrooms, you will love this Blue Oysters at home mushroom growing kit. Buy on Amazon
4. Pink Oyster Mushroom Kit
These species of mushrooms are vibrantly pink when young and becomes whiter as they age. The edges of the cap tend to curl with age. This mushroom often grows in clusters or large bouquets.
Pink mushrooms, smelling like bacon bits are delicate and have a low shelf life and hence make a lot of sense to grow it at your own home.
The Forest Origins Organic Pink Oyster Mushroom Growing Kit is one example of a scrumptious mushroom which you can grow indoor in just a matter of 7 to 10 days. You also get everything needed in this kit– spawn, a spray bottle and how to grow it right instructions.
Pink Oyster Mushroom Growing Kit - Check on Amazon
Things to know,
- This is an indoor Pink oyster mushroom growing kit
- Kit contains a block of plant-based materials with mycelium packed in plastic.
- If you plan to use or gift the mushroom growing kit later, do not open the package. It can be stored for about 2 months.
- Cut over the X mark with a sharp knife to 1 inch depth. lift the plastic and scrape the soil slightly with a fork to stimulate growth. Add 2 tbsp water in the X area.
- Just mist with a spray (5-10 times) the bag once regularly with chlorine-free water
- Mushrooms can ready to harvest in as early as 5-7 days to a couple of weeks. It took 7 days for most people.
Common questions people ask about this Pink oyster growing kit
- Q. How to know Pink oyster mushrooms are ready to pick?
- A. When the cap size reaches 1-2 inches and just begin to curl, eat them.
- Q. Can I cut in more than 1 place to grow more mushrooms?
- A. Not recommended. It will weaken the kit and produce smaller mushrooms.
- Q. My mushrooms are drying up, breaking on edges and smelling funny, are they dead?
- A. You waited too long to eat them. Harvest them earlier next time.
- Q. When can I grow Pink oyster mushroom?
- A. All year round.
- Q. How does Pink oyster mushrooms taste?
- A. It’s different than general mushrooms and has a fishy taste.
- Q. Can I use this grow kit outdoors?
- A. You can but not recommended at all. You will face issues like pests and having to water too often.
- Q. Where should I place the grow kit?
- A. Think “forest”, little sun, damp but not very wet location.
- Q. Can I take everything out of the plastic bag and grow in a pot?
- A. No. You may grow a few small ones only. Grow them in the provided plastic bags.
- Q. Can I grow multiple batches of Pink oysters from a single grow kit?
- A. Yes, you can. Follow instructions in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZak78Nv6J0&loop=0 People have re-grown 2-3 times, even 7 times!
- Q. What temperature is ideal for Pink oyster mushrooms?
- A. Generally within 55 to 65 °F range is good.
- Q. Does this grow kit produce organic pink mushrooms?
- A. Yes
- Q. What is the best way to eat Pink oyster mushrooms?
- A. There are a lot of recipes on youtube.
- Saute them with garlic and butter.
- Make noodles, pink oyster with tomato sauce
- Saute and use as pizza topping with alfredo sauce
- Saute and eat with burger
- Bake with garlic & butter to crispiness!
These mushrooms grow very fast and can be harvested within 4-5 days and yes you can have multiple harvests with this kit. This one is an ideal mushroom growing kit for beginners. But be warned mushroom growing is very addictive! Buy on Amazon
5. Portobello / Crimini Mushroom Growing Kit
The cremini mushroom is a mature version of the white button mushroom, so it has a similar flavor. Crimini is younger than the portobello and is sometimes sold as “baby bella” or “baby portobello” mushrooms.
If you enjoy the more richer, earthy and nutty taste of crimini and want to have batches ready at your home this portobello mushroom growing kit is a good choice
Crimini / Baby Bella / Portabella Mushroom Growing Kit - Check on Amazon
Things to know,
- You have to use this kit within a couple of days of receiving, it requires regular watering
- This edible mushroom growing kit comes with detailed instructions, colonized growing medium and casing layer
- It requires 12 x 12 x 12 inch space and weighs 14lbs
- Does not require any light to grow
Common questions people ask about this Portobello / Crimini growing kit
- Q. Does it really require no light?
- A. Yes, it does not require any light, you can keep in under the table or in the basement for example.
- Q. Is Crimini / Portobello mushroom kits perennial? Will it keep growing all year round?
- A. No, the medium is especially created with a food source for the mushrooms. Mushrooms will stop growing when it depletes.
- Q. How many flushes does this Portobello grow kit produce?
- A. Usually 3 flushes, can be up to 6-7 flushes. The first will have most fruits, then less on the next ones.
- Q. How much mushrooms can 1 grow kit produce?
- A. Typically about 4 pounds of mushrooms over 4-6 weeks
- Q. Can I place this Crimini / Portobello mushroom growing kit in direct sunlight?
- A. No, not at all. Keep it in a cool, dark place. Or somewhere with very minimum light.
- Q. What is the ideal temperature for this Crimini grow kit?
- A. 63-65 F is ideal for this growing kit.
With this mushroom kit, you can have a weeks worth of mushroom within three weeks. If you are a beginner, you will love the fast harvest. Buy on Amazon
6. White Button Mushroom Growing Kit
White button mushrooms are the most commonly consumed mushroom worldwide as it easiest to cook and almost can be used almost in any recipe. You can use them in soups, stews, or in stir-fries. And of course using them as a flavorful topping for meat, fish, poultry, or pizza is another popular way to eat this mushroom.
If you want to have a box full of fresh white mushrooms to pick up for your recipes check out this white button mushroom growing kit. White button is just the baby version of the crimini / portabella mushrooms. The essentials and Q & A for this kit is same as above.
White Button Mushroom Growing Kit - Check on Amazon
This is what a buyer reported after using the mushroom kit: “first time in my life, after almost a DOZEN tries that my mushroom box worked.”
7. Lion’s Mane Mushroom Growing Kit
Also Known as hedgehog or pompom mushrooms is icicle-like in appearance and is very easy to propagate and maintain.
Lion's Mane Mushroom Growing Kit - Check on Amazon
Gallboy’s Lion’s Mane mushroom growing kit comes with a complete kit containing wood chip substrate, a bag of inoculated mycelium and a tent to lock in moisture along with instruction document.
Things to know,
- Indoor grow kit
- This Lion’s Mane mushroom growing kit contains growing medium, plastic bag containing matter inoculated spores, humidity tent & instructions.
- You will need a spray bottle for misting and a plate to sit it on
- Wait until the recommended date and only then cut the bag as instructed and put humidity tent over
- Place kit in a cool, dark, shady area
- Ideal temperature for this kit is 55-75° F
- Follow the instructions
Common questions people ask about this Lion’s Mane growing kit
- Q. How many times can this grow kit fruit?
- A. It can fruit up to 2-5 times
- Q. How much Lion’s Mane mushroom can I get from this kit?
- A. It usually fruits 2 times or more. So about ~1lb or more.
- Q. Can it tolerate direct sunlight?
- A. No
- Q. Will the mushrooms keep on growing forever?
- A. The Lion’s Mane mushrooms will only grow as long as the block has nutrients left to feed them. (2-5 times)
You can harvest this mushroom within 35 to 40 days time. If kept moist as instructed, you can easily have three to four fruiting seasons using this kit. Buy on Amazon
8. Reishi Mushroom Growing Kit
Historically used in Japanese and Chinese traditional medicine for immunity, Reishi is frequently consumed as a tea or nutritional supplement.
This red and brown fungus has a strong, distinctive flavor and is perfect for indoor growing, but they can be grown outdoors as well, given the right conditions.
Indoor Reishi Mushroom Growing Kit - Check on Amazon
Reishi Mushroom Growing kits from Gallboys are available via Amazon. Their growing kits are easy-to-use and grow. The instructional manual of the kit also shows a technique of using wedges out of logs to create a long term reishi source.
Things to know,
- Indoor kit
- Do not cut the plastic bag immediately, read the instructions
- Keep uncut bag in a warm place with little light
- Ideal temperature for this kit is 60-85 F
- Do not tear open the air vent until recommended in your instructions
- Once mushroom antlers start to grow and the bag is almost fully white, cut an X with a blade near the air vent and spray water on the X area
- Put on the humidity tent over the kit
- Spray the bag with water (chlorine-free) couple of times a day
- Reishi mushrooms like more humidity than other generic mushrooms
Common questions people ask about this Reishi mushroom growing kit
- Q. How is Reishi mushrooms usually used?
- A. Usually after harvested, it’s powered and used to make teas. Reishi tea has a little bitter taste but its good for health. If you want more details on reishi mushroom benefits, you can check this resource.
- Q. My bag is full of white stuff? Is this normal?
- A. Yes, it’s great. The white stuff is mycelium, it’s on its way to grow mushrooms.
- Q. What kind of Reishi mushroom substrate is used in this grow kit?
- A. Hardwood sawdust and organic ingredients
- Q. What time is best for growing Reishi?
- Slightly warm weather (not hot) is suitable for growing Reishi.
- Q. Do this Reishi grow kit need light?
- Yes, but very minimal. For example the light from a soft reading light.
- Q. How soon do Reishi grow?
- A. Reishi mushrooms grow slow. It can take a 1-2 months.
- Q. How many harvests can I get from this Reishi mushroom kit?
- A. You can expect 2 harvests, sometimes 3, if you take care of it properly.
- Q. How do I eat Reishi mushrooms?
- A. It is primarily a medical mushroom with a wide range of health benefits. You can make tea and drink it. Or make a flavourful soup with it along with chicken & shiitake mushrooms.
With this Reishi mushroom growing kit, you will have the easiest way to grow these amazing mushrooms at home. Buy on Amazon
No matter which mushroom kit you choose, there are some basic factors you need to take care of for all mushrooms
First of all…
Keep Moisture level right especially if Growing Indoors
Some people easily get frustrated with slow growth and other woes in growing organic mushrooms. A key important task is to keep the mushroom grow kit moist by placing it in a location that suits it best.
Laundry room in high rise apartments, garage, basement or even a snake tank can be the most conducive places, as these areas boast of high moisture level. Plus, make sure you use the humidity tent as instructed in your kit and mist regularly.
Ditch the bathroom area though as other microorganisms may seep into the growing mushroom compromising safety.
Ensure you have good spawns for the chosen Mushroom
You will need good mushroom spawn to grow delicious mushrooms. Regardless of the type of edible mushroom, you choose to grow, this mycelium-inoculated substance makes a vegetative growth for these fungi. Mycelium, by the way, is a threadlike cell collection (white) that serves as a base for your mushroom to take root. As fruit needs its tree to grow, so does a mushroom need its spawn.
The spawn (basically any substance inoculated with mycelium) is used to transfer mycelium onto a substrate which is any material from which mushrooms will grow. There are several different kinds of substrates like straw, cardboard, logs, and wood chips just being a few examples.
Some people make mushroom spawns out of cardboard. While it may look easy on YouTube, it requires steady hands and excellent DIY skills. If you don’t have the time to spare the effort, you can buy these ready mushroom plugs online which will save you a ton of work.
Mushroom plug spawns works best for various edible mushrooms including shiitake, oyster and white button mushrooms. While spores may seem the best route, it can be tricky to a beginner though. So stick to those mushroom spawns as you learn along.
Note: You will need a log to plug the above mycelium-infused mushroom spawn. But you don’t have to go around buying a piece of tree-lined yard to make it happen. Simply buy a specially-designed mushroom log like this 12″ Shiitake Mushroom Log, drill 5.6-inch holes, plug-in those mycelium-infused spawns!
Know the best Time to Grow Mushroom at your Home
Growing mushrooms is also a matter of timing. The best time to cultivate your own mushroom mini-farm is in the spring or post-summer season when the temperature is around 60 to 85-deg F, varies from mushroom to mushroom.
Humidity can be perfect this time of the year and the temperature is just right for shrooms to thrive. In general mushrooms do not like dryness of summer or cold harsh winter.
However, there are exceptions like oyster mushroom also grows well in winter. Another edible mushroom variety velvet shank can also withstand winter freezing and thawing conditions.
Keep your Mushrooms Damp
Dampen the growing medium or bag on a daily basis. Some edible mushroom growing kit comes with a water sprayer to aid in this quest or simply get one. Simply keep it in a cool, dark place where the temperature is just right as per your grow kit instructions. Keep the grow kit moist by spraying water as advised.
As an avid indoor gardener you can install a Humidifier to ensure fast growth of those delectable mushrooms. This Reptile humidifier along with this Outlet timer is quite easy to set up your “mini mushroom farm” on auto-pilot allowing you freedom from manually dampening your indoor mushroom garden.
All in all, growing mushrooms should never be a hard tackle to take. With the right edible mushroom growing kit and some patience, you can finally grow such tasty treats to nourish your family’s everyday meals.
Edible mushrooms are astoundingly healthy, fat-free low-calorie treats and you have now learned about some of the best mushroom growing kit for beginners to easily grow them yourself. Go ahead, grow & enjoy your needed nutrients and antioxidants right from your DIY garden without looking any further!